I got meme-tagged by Heather at Errant Dreams Reviews to list 8 random facts about myself. Here are the rules. If you want to play along, consider yourself tagged.
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.
2. List eight (8) random facts about yourself.
3. Tag eight people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them).
4. Let them know they’ve been tagged by leaving them a comment on their blogs.
Eight Random Facts (and photos) About Myself:
1) I am afraid of heights and had to psyche myself up to climb the Eiffel Tower stairs this summer. The lineup was so long, I couldn’t bear the thought of waiting with my seven-year-old, despite slippery stairs and misty rain.
2) I used to be a competitive swimmer. It’s the only sport I have ever excelled at. I’ve tried cross-country running, skating, aerobics, fencing, skiing and yoga but I think I’ll stick to swimming. Master’s swimmers range in age from 25 to 80+.
3) I directed trained actors for the first time this year. “Eulalie and the Great March” was a one-act play but we did it twice, in play form and in monologue form. More about that here
if you’re interested in this piece about a white South African woman, trying to resist Apartheid.
4) I am collecting dystopias to read because I’m writing a teen dystopia myself. Currently draft number one is finished and I am editing, by which I don’t mean line-editing. I mean soul-searching and restructuring, trying to find the golden centre where themes, character and plot intersect.
5) I am a family-first person who likes to make friends of all ages. I often hang out with relatives and friends who are older or much older than myself. The upside is I see lots of operas and plays and eat many excellent dinners (I saw this Jazz band with my parents in South Carolina). The downside is people I used to hang with at work are retiring. It’s a quirk of being a member of the smallest cohort, between the baby boomers and the boom echo generations.
6) It has no cachet but I love Scarborough, Ontario. There is so much nature here, despite the urban/suburban location. Toronto Life recently did a special issue on house-buying in Toronto. They didn’t even cover Scarborough. It was their loss, and their readers’.
7) Why am I a butterfly? I feel weird talking about myself on this blog because it’s supposed to be anonymous, all about the books and reviews. I am often disappointed when a paid columnist starts soapboxing about her personal peeves. Now I am being asked to do that very thing. I figure me rambling is not entertainment enough so I added photos to the original meme. I dunno. Are we bored yet? If so, here’s something that was anything but boring, a picture of Alex Bello playing with Dominican Bachata at the Earthquake Relief Concert. Hat-cha-cha.
8) It costs me about $30.00 Canadian to fill my gas tank. This photo was taken in Scarborough, from the window of our ten-year-old Hyundai Accent.
List of the tagged.
I’ve chosen bloggers who have responded to my booking-through-Thursdays memes plus lotus.